Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Thoughts on Aurora

I totally missed Aurora. I'm not sure what happened. Every disaster like this I have been glued to the television. Columbine. September 11th. The Tsunami. Katrina. Va Tech. Watching. Reading. Praying. Hoping. I missed this one. Not literally, but emotionally. I never connected with the tragedy. Maybe it's because I have three little ones this time. Maybe because I can't see the tv from the kitchen table in our new house. Maybe it's because I didn't even know this movie was coming out. (so sad.) Or maybe because the death of 12 people no longer affects me...

Damn.

What?!

How can that be? How can I, a person that claims to love Jesus and all those whom He loves, not even stop to know who they are or hear their story, or at the very least, catch the gossip? I mean, even Eva Longoria has a minute to stop by Good Afternoon America, talk about naming a potato chip and pay tribute.... I took a nap.

Even as I write this tears sting my eyes, because this is where I am... where we are as a culture. A facebook post of prayer is great, but do we really feel it? Can we feel it? Do you get it unless you were there or it was your kid or husband or friend?

How could your God let this happen? Where was your God when this was happening? How can one person be so evil? What is next? What will my kids see in their lifetime? I don't have any answers. To these questions or any others. I mean, I know what I think the answers are and I know what is true about God...

But this is what I know about me. My prayers will start now. For all of the families, for the 58 people injured, for those who have to reconcile what they experienced that night. And for me. For us. That this crap will never be “no big deal.” That I will always make time to “connect” with victims and their stories. That I will never be desensitized to the things the break the heart of God.

I got to meet those that lost their lives. I read the story of one injured and the story of one who was there. Is that good enough? I don't know, but I hope it honors them and their families.

I pray I don't miss another one- another anything- again.

- jill

2 comments:

  1. I understand completely...it was so sad and the next day I almsot forgot. Then on Sunday we were singing Mighty to Save and as I sang the words "Everyone needs compassion, the kindness of a Saviour, let Mercy fall on me. Everyone needs forgiveness, a love that's never failing..." I started to cry as I thought about the horrible man who did this and how what right do I have to not forgive thi heinous act if my Jesus would gladly forgive him and welcome him with open arms if he asked for it. Alas I am human and think he deserves a punishment worse than death, but he does also deserve our forgiveness :( so sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like this Jill. I don't like it one bit. I got a special news alert on my phone from Fox news with a headline about the shooting around 6AM that morning. I did not turn on the TV, I just cried and prayed. My husband came to kiss me goodbye as he left for work and I told him the news. He had already been listening in the bathroom while getting ready. The first topic on our lips for the day. I watched the news later that morning and have paid way too much attention to it.

    Just a few years ago in 2007 there was a rampage at the Von Maur Department store in Omaha, NE, at the mall I used to hang out at as a kid. I walked through that store just last month with my sisters while my Dad stood outside of the store because he would not go in. When I came out to ask my Dad about it, he said "my friend died in that store, I will never go in there again." I vaguely remembered him saying a friend from work was shot back when the shooting took place, but had forgotten that even. My point is, even when it is somewhat close to home, time and life gets in the way of true remembrance. That is why I say I don't like it, because you missed this one and I did not, but the one which hit the closest to home for me, had become a faint memory. I don't think people should stop going to the places these things happen, as it was not the fault of the business owners, but I am saddened by how dull our sensitivity becomes with time to such things.

    Perhaps the biggest danger of lack of remembrance is some of the largest atrocities could repeat themselves. The holocaust perhaps or what was the name of that place in Africa....ummmm starts with an R. You see my drift? Our job is to pray for peace for the families and remind them that there is a glorious reunion in Heaven...but also to remember.

    Yep, I don't like it one bit.
    God save us. Jesus come soon.

    ReplyDelete