Saturday, June 30, 2012

Being the Interruption

In the 80's, I was an awkward 5th grade girl. My teeth pointed in every direction but down. I had thick pentagon shaped glasses. My hair was long and in a ponytail 7 days of the week. My twin sister and I were squeezed in the middle between two older siblings and two younger siblings. Yep, you counted correctly. 6 children! Growing up with so many siblings always gave me a playmate or partner to endure consequences with. I am a child of two alcoholic parents. Due to certain decisions of my parents and the economic times, my siblings and I grew up not only as children of alcoholics, but also children of the welfare system. My 10 year old dreams were simple: eating a meal in a restaurant, having a closet with clothing options, and having my own room. The latter would not come until my senior year of college. 

During that 5th grade year, I was introduced to the Decker Family. Myrtle Decker came into our home as a home health care physical therapist. She saw children close to her own children's ages living in a situation beyond their own awareness. My sisters and I were invited to spend an afternoon with the Deckers at their local pool. One afternoon lead to countless days, nights, and weekends spent with them. They took us into their home, on their family vacations, to their church, and most importantly, into their hearts. Yet, the Deckers would never describe the Kelly girls as an "interruption." I have often said the Decker family was the hand of God in my life before I ever knew the hand of God. 

25 years later I am grateful and challenged by Myrtle Decker and her family. They allowed their lives to be interrupted. They opened their home, hearts, and time to meet us where we were. After numerous conversations with this wonderful family, I realized that the Deckers did not set out to "save these poor" girls. But what they did do was show us love, consistency, and a difference. Because of their time, conversations, hugs, and prayers my life was never the same. Being poor financially was nothing compared to being poor in spirit. I began to taste the goodness of God at the Decker family dinner table. 

As a result of being the "interruption" in the life of a family with whom my own family now has relationship, I am more able to see the value of a life interrupted. I am a loved wife of a man who pursues the Lord, a blessed mother helping raise two amazing and active children, completely involved in a community and church body and the foundation for my choices being the unconditional love, hope, and redemptive power of Jesus Christ. The generational cycle has been broken! The Deckers were and continue to be the hands and feet of the Lord's character. Being in the presence of this family has left an eternal imprint on my life. I saw a difference. I felt hope. I was forever changed. 

So, as you follow my entries, I wanted you to know where and how my story began. I began as the interruption. And I am forever grateful, thankful, and humbled by the willingness and generosity of a family open to an awkward 5th grader. 

I pray that you and I may have the eyes and ears to see the opportunity of an interruption. 

"Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations..." Deuteronomy 7:9

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I have heard of the Decker family for as long as I have known you, but it is beautiful to read the story here like this. I am so thankful that God provided for you through them so that you can be my sister in Christ now. :) I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you for sharing this and reminding me the value of being interrupted. ... It's so easy to focus on what "works for me" and forget it's not really about me!

    ReplyDelete